See the lowest price listing I’ve found on Amazon:
4.6 Reviewed by SusanRating:
* UPDATE OCT. 2015 – This model is now selling online for much less than it cost originally. Now that’s more like an economy model price!
The Excalibur 2900ECB 9-Tray Economy Dehydrator was originally priced so high that it could hardly be called “economy”, but it now costs considerably less than Excalibur’s most popular 9-tray model the 3926TB (see the 3926TB review here).
Excalibur is a well-known dehydrator manufacturer with an excellent reputation, and this 2900ECB model is a top seller online that gets great reviews from customers. Before you read further, be aware that it does not have a timer. If you can live without that, then this could be a good choice for you because you get a full size 9-tray dehydrator from a top quality manufacturer at a very reasonable price.
Read the rest of the Excalibur 2900ECB 9-Tray Economy Dehydrator Review:
Table of Contents
Click a topic to read ahead!
- Adjustable Thermostat
- Built-in On/Off switch
- Rear mounted fan for more even drying and easier cleanup
- Removable trays allow for drying thick foods or using tall jars
- 9 Trays – 15 square feet of drying space
- Removable door for easier loading and cleanup
- Includes polyscreen tray inserts to keep food from sticking and make cleaning easier
- 10 Year Limited Warranty
At a glance, this model appears almost identical to the Excalibur 3926TB model. Both dehydrators have an adjustable thermostat, similar drying systems with rear mounted fans, removable trays, polyscreen inserts, and 9 trays that give you about 15 square feet of available drying space. Both models also carry a 10 Year Limited warranty from the manufacturer.
What’s missing? In a word — timer. This is entirely a matter of personal preference. Some people actually prefer not having a timer because it can limit processing time. For example, if a unit has a 26-hour timer, you will have to check it at that point and reset it to keep running. That’s a drawback for those who prefer to turn the dehydrator on and let it run indefinitely. I can’t imagine leaving it unattended for 26 hours or longer, but then, you may disagree completely! Only you can decide whether a timer is important, depending on your preferences and how you intend to use your dehydrator.
What you do get is a full size, 9 tray dehydrator with 15 square feet of drying space, plus the quality and dependability associated with the Excalibur name. In online reviews, customers give this model high ratings, and overall they seem very pleased with it.
(Back to Top)
→ Note: If economy is important to you, here are two other models that sell for even less:
- Consider a smaller Excalibur without a timer. If you don’t need a large dehydrator, you may want to check out this 5 Tray model: Excalibur 2500ECB 5-Tray Economy Dehydrator
- Take a look at our review of the Nesco Snackmaster Pro. The base model is very low priced – however, when comparing prices keep in mind that this Nesco comes with only 5 trays. You can add up to 7 more trays (for a total of 12), but consider both the cost of the Nesco dehydrator plus the cost of any extra trays you would need to buy.
Wattage & Voltage
Wattage: 600 Watts
Voltage: 110V(Back to Top)
Color, Materials & BPA
This model is only available in black.
According to the manufacturer, the trays are made of polypropylene #5 which is BPA free, and the outer case is made of FDA approved polycarbonate.(Back to Top)
Made in USA?
Excalibur dehydrators are manufactured in Sacramento, California, USA.(Back to Top)
Size & Capacity
9 trays give you a total of approximately 15 square feet of available drying space. Note that this unit is not “expandable”, meaning that you cannot add more trays to it.
However, it is adaptable. The trays are removable, so you can make space for thick or bulky foods, tall jars, or even to allow for raising dough.(Back to Top)
No fancy “extras” come with this machine — but it does include the polyscreen tray inserts that keep foods from sticking and make for easier cleanup when you’re finished processing.(Back to Top)
Non-stick dehydrator sheets can be purchased for use in making fruit leathers or using with any liquids or semi-liquids (like sauces, soups, or pureed fruits or vegetables).(Back to Top)
As of October, 2015, this product has over 300 online reviews, and almost 80% of those customers give it a five star rating. There are a few complaints about receiving units that didn’t work at all when brand new, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad product because I think with anything you buy, there’s always a chance of a few people getting a “lemon”.(Back to Top)
- 9 full size trays provide approximately 15 square feet of drying space.
- Adjustable temperature control for best results with a wide variety of foods.
- Versatile – trays can be removed to make room for bulky items or tall jars.
- Excalibur is a well-known brand with a reputation for quality and durability.
- No timer.
- Solid sheets for making fruit leathers or processing liquids must be purchased separately.
- Controls are located at back of unit (on top) – can be hard to get to, depending on where you place your unit.
Excalibur 2900ECB 9-Tray Economy Dehydrator Review: Summary
This is a good choice for anyone who wants a large dehydrator without a timer. It does have an adjustable thermostat, which is one of the most important features for successful drying of all different types of foods. Now that the price has been lowered, the name “economy” is much more appropriate. You can take advantage of considerable savings and still get an Excalibur.